History of the Center
The Social Science Research Center (SSRC), officially established in 1950, operates as a university-level, multi-disciplinary research unit, organized with university-wide responsibilities under the supervision of the vice presidents for research and graduate studies and of agriculture, forestry and veterinary medicine. The Center offers a superior research environment with an impressive array of research opportunities and options, state-of-the-art facilities, laboratories and support units that enhance and expand both the scope and quality of social science research. The SSRC fosters a rigorous and independent research environment to ensure objective, relevant and unbiased analyses.
The Center has also embraced international collaborations. This began with an Italian exchange program that has grown into a formal educational experience where faculty and students from the University of Catania come to the SSRC to learn new social science methods and where MSU faculty and students participate in Catania’s educational program. Recently, a delegation from Croatia has participated in a similar endeavor at the SSRC and negotiations with a Mexican university are on-going.
The Center continues to receive internal support from the University and the Mississippi Agricultural and Forestry Experiment Station, but most research projects are supported through outside funding from a diverse range of agencies, including but not limited to:
National Aeronautics and Space Administration
U.S. Department of Agriculture
National Institute of Child Health and Human Development
Office of Rural Health Policy
Mississippi State Department of Health
Mississippi Department of Transportation
Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning
Annie E. Casey Foundation
Almost sixty years after its founding, social scientists continue to work together to address social problems and research issues, to train students in research methods and to contribute to the scholarly atmosphere of Mississippi State University. Its various interdisciplinary research enterprises provide a steady stream of innovative projects and creative investigations.
Directors of the Social Science Research Center
Dr. John K. Bettersworth (1950-1960)
Dr. Harold K. Kaufman (1960-1969)
Dr. Kenneth P. Wilkinson (1969-1970)
Dr. Andrew W. Baird (1970-1973)
Dr. Gerald O. Windham (1973-1985)
Dr. Arthur G. Cosby (1985-2020)
Download the full in PDF format.